Monday, March 8, 2010

Tranny


I've been lucky enough to have my hands deep into some Truimph bottom ends/trannys the past couple weekends at the shop. No better way to build up my skills in areas I was still unsure of than to be elbows deep in it right? I always love thinking of everything going on within my bike when I'm out for a long solo ride. Ill think about the air getting sucked into the filter, through the concentric carb picking up fuel vapor from the main jet, the intake valves opening alternately, the mixture being drawn in, valves close, igntion/combustion, exhaust valves alternately opening, spent fuel & air rushing through those pipes & out the cocktail shakers. Then I think of the energy now being used to spin the crank thats turning the cam gears, cams, cams pushing the pushrods up, rocking the rockers & opening their respective valves in perfect time & the oil pump pumping and the spinning rotor within the stator, sending electricity to my battery, the primary chain whizzing inside the cover, spinning the clutch & now that I'm understanding the transmission a bit better these days, i can see in my mind the clutch turning the mainshaft/layshaft & gears, turning that final drive chain that turns my rear wheel & propels me down the road. It amazes me to no end the mechanical magic within an engine especially one thats as good looking and sounding as the lovely triumph twin.
went on a nice little blast around my personal circuit around philly last night. carving some corners, winding out the revs = pure heaven. i still have no clue how a motorcycle ride can so efficiently clear ones head of stress & worry like no other thing on earth.

1 comment: